I see, icy, I see

So with all the ice and snow, we thought it would be fun to take Bella out in the snow for a little bit and let her play. She loves playing chace games where she takes something she knows she isn't supposed to have and we chase her. She also loves playing games where we throw a rope for her and she will fetch for hours.

That is what we did for a while yesterday, went out in the snow and played fetch.  She had a lot of fun and loved it. At some point, though, the Goose thought it would be fun to make a snow angel.
 
Well, maybe...but sh also shortly noticed something else. It was very, very cold to lay in the snow. I know, news flash, right? :-) But she loved doing it.

Got me to thinking. What would I do if the cold outside moved inside. For example, what if it got so cold the pipes froze? How would I thaw them out? I could call cousin Andrea the plumber or my old friend Dave, also a plumber. 

Or...and considering my brilliant mechanical past wherein I was unable to clean a tub plug, burned down a barbecue, etc., I could do it myself. But how best to clear frozen pipes? So many fine options.

For example, I could repair to the nearby lumberyard for some heat tape which in theory would do so slowly, safely and sanely. Or I could follow the example of those who have gone before, break out a kerosene torch to thaw it out and instead burn down my house....


I mean, what could possibly go wrong? Let's say you have a gas furnace or something. If your pipes freeze solid, rapidly heating them gives them an excellent chance to crack or develop leaks. How fun would that be? 

(thanks to Riot Kitty for the heads up on this genius)

3 comments:

Riot Kitty said...

Brrr! When we were little and lived in MN, we'd go out and make snow angels. I can't fathom doing that now...although we had snowsuits.

Still!

JLee said...

How fun!! We used to build snow forts and our dog always loved the snow. Merry Christmas!

vivavavoom said...

you all got really snowed in..wow! not much of anything here in Denver. biggest thing with the pipes is to make sure wherever the outside hose connection is to cover it before the snow comes..too late now...hee hee...enjoy! I still would rather live in your city!