Music the Victor Borge Way

Dad introduced me to a lot of great comedians. Jack Benny, McCarthy-Bergen, Amos & Andy, Abbott & Costello...Charlie Chaplin...Buster Keaton...Laurel & Hardy...Keystone Kops...and many, many more.

But there was one that for many years I had never heard of. Yet it was one Dad referenced all the time, a guy named Victor Borge. His most famous routine was "Phonetic Pronunciation". Very funny bit. And Dad was constantly using those sound effects. It was pretty funny even without hearing the routine. It was even better after I heard the return.

Later, he asked me to watch a PBS show with him. Turned out to be Borge. And hilarious. Over the years I have been fortunate to encounter a few bits of his.

A little more set-up.

Ever had to watch when 2 people sit down at the piano next to each other and play that same...stupid...song. Apparently the ONLY song 2 people can play while seated next to each other at a piano bench. It can be any 2 people. A pair of piano students. A student and a teacher. A mom and daughter. A sister and brother. A professional piano player and a newborn baby. Stevie Wonder and Johnny Cash.

Or..the way it SHOULD be done. Allow me to present Victor smurfing Borge.



1 comment:

Riot Kitty said...

So cool! I totally forgot about him. He did some neat stuff on Sesame Street...punctuation.