All quiet on the Western Front

Well, have not written much lately, for obvious reasons...between being short handed at work, behind at school, getting ready for the funeral and stuff, the sisters visiting from out of town...not that I am sure most people really miss my efforts. Especially after the "dark mistress" bit...sick, sick, sick. I apologize on behalf of whoever wrote that garbage.
Well, yesterday was the funeral. One good thing to come out of it was seeing a lot of people I had not seen for years. I mean, it is a rough way to see them...I would rather meet them in happier times, but sometimes you have to make the best of a sad and bad situation.
And even there, it was a little rough. When you go 2, 3, 8, 12 years between seeing people...in your mind you know they are aging, but your mental picture stays the same. So you have an idea of what someone looks like, then you overlay the reality on your mental picture and it really hits home...time is moving. Swiftly. And it changes people a great deal.
I know that is natural and all, but it doesn't make it any easier. But it was good to catch up with some people. However, there is another interesting sideline to that observation. And I think it says something about me.
After the funeral itself, there was lots of millage, people wandering around catching up with friends they had not seen for many, many moons. And I have to be honest here...after about 10 - 15 minutes, I was done with that. Not that it wasn't nice to see them...just that...well, kind of like the conversations went "Good to see you, Mr. X. How have you been? Yeah, I have been good too. What is new?" And like that, 15 years of change were covered. We have gone our separate ways. I was much more interested in talking to Kyle, Kevin, Pam, Cassie, Courtenoy....although for obvious reasons those were not overly feasible options...and to Pam, Debbie, Phillip, Tracy...people I see regularly. And without putting too fine a point on it...talking to them in a room where I keep wandering over to look at pictures of Greg is not the most conducive atmosphere for a positive conversation.
I guess the point of this is...why is it that after many years of not seeing people, after 10 minutes I am fine with that? Our lives have taken divergent paths, we have fewer shared experiences, fewer shared memories, our life paths no longer are parallel. And I am just curious if it is the same for most people or if for most people...I am backwards.

1 comment:

Riot Kitty said...

I'm glad you wrote this. It's the same for me - I thought I was weird!