Out of character

I am one of those people who does not get too excited about things. Largely because those things always disappoint...

But I am excited now. Three more days of work and then I will be flying off to Tennessee to celebrate the Goose graduating.

There are lots of things to be excited about. Seeing Grinchmas. Watching her get "pinned" to graduate. Even seeing the little mutt.

Normally my level of excitement would be more or less confined to a calm, "Yeah, I am looking forward to it" comment.

It is actually something that drives many of my friends nuts. Me excited looks pretty much like me uninterested or merely being polite.

I think this is partially because in the past, many events that I looked forward to with much anticipation disappointed. Better to not build anticipation than to experience heartbreak and letdown. A conscious, deliberate decision to approach things that way.

But for reasons that matter to only some of us, I have made an effort every bit as conscious and deliberate to build excitement about this trip. to talk it up at every opportunity. To invest myself whole-heartedly in it.

There are many reasons for this. One is, of course, the graduation is an achievement of magnificent proportions and should be properly feted and recognized. Which reminds me...I need to pick up a card.

Note to self; pick up a card. I know you will forget, you nincompoop...so DON'T. Pick up a card.

It is an event that needs to be memorable, a high point at which we can point and say, "Look what we accomplished; you through working hard at your studies, me through being your encouragement and supporter."

Yes, look at what we did...kind of like having a kid except with more screams and bawling and less poopy diapers.*

Anyway, just wanted to say..I am so excited about this trip sleep is not always my friend. And I am fine with that.

* Or maybe less screams and bawling and more poopy diapers considering her work in assisted living facilities.

1 comment:

Riot Kitty said...

Have a great time and give her a hug from me!