Names have been changed to protect the idiotic

Imagine, if you would, a room full of people. These are people you know. People you work with. In fact, the technical term is co-workers. 

Now imagine you are there for a product introduction meeting. Let's say the product is...bananas. Now, everything you need to know about bananas can be summed up in the following paragraph.

"We have two types of bananas, yellow and green. The yellow ones are available in 4", 6" and 8". The green ones are available in 8" only. They open the same way. You grasp the top, separate, and peel. Lead time for replacements is one week. Your people will get you pricing."

Pretty simple, right? Now, imagine that same presentation...stretched out to an hour and a half. 

Not quite so fun, right?

Now, what could pointlessly stretch this exercise in futility out? Hmm. How about questions like, "What is the modulus of elasticity of a banana compared to an orange?"

Okay, first off...you aren't selling oranges. You are not competing with oranges. Any orange related questions are completely, totally, unbelievably irrelevant.

Second, if you meet someone who wants to know such an esoteric metric as the modulus of elasticity for a banana...you probably don't want to sell them a banana anyway. You have nothing but trouble in your future. This will not be an easy sale. He will inevitably find problems with the banana anyway.

Now, imagine that is among the more relevant and intelligent questions. 

I wonder why I get irritated sometimes. I am sure it has nothing to do with 5 minute meetings that last 90 minutes.

2 comments:

Riot Kitty said...

Auuuuugggggghhhhh.......I feel your pain.

I am chairing a meeting in a couple of weeks that is scheduled for 2 hours, and guess what? I'll have them out in one or less. Ha!

Is there really an 8" banana? ;) Yes, I would like a spanking...

Al said...

Okay I'm leaving a comment because well it must be you on my blog because it's a breeze to leave comments as I've done tests as well. But I do forget that you're completely computer illiterate.