I guess I will just have to be low-brow

I have never cared for the more esoteric art forms. I do not enjoy abstract, cubism, surrealism, impressionism, etc. I like my art to look like what it is. I fully realize this makes me "ignorant" according to the "elite" art critics. I happily say, "And your point is?"

I am firmly in the camp that believes the more people who enjoy something, the better it is as opposed to believing the fewer people who enjoy something means it is better.

I also have the advantage of knowing the art I enjoy, unlike say....abstract art, is most likely hung with the correct orientation.

I guess I am just not smart enough to enjoy art so confusing that experts disagree even on which way it should be hung which, coincidentally, would alter the (alleged) "meaning" of the piece. And they say ignorance is bliss...maybe. Or maybe it is being too smart to be so smart that you can't figure out what you are looking at...

1 comment:

Riot Kitty said...

I have to tell you, most of the "abstract art" Blake and I saw in New York...well...I need to get a gig that pays me tens of thousands of dollars to paint an X or a line on canvas! I mean, seriously, wtf???