It's amazing what different goals we have...

I recently performed a Weasel-athalon. In true Ironman fashion I knocked off 3 movies, 2 tubs of popcorn and a half dozen sodas. Truly an epic performance. What, you want more differentiation? Fine, I golfed 3 rounds, read 5 books and wrote 2 essays on Native Americans and how they have been viewed.

But as impressive as those accomplishments (?) are (!), they pale in comparison to what was accomplished by my buddy Ironman Al. A year ago he could not swim. Yet last weekend he competed in his first Ironman.

How did he do?

The stats: 68 swim, 5:39 bike, 3:25 run for a total w/ transition of 10:20.My goals were 75 swim, 5:45 bike, and 3:15 run.

For the run it is 26. 3 miles, a marathon. Not sure the distances on the swim or bike...out of 2220 some competitors he finished like 120th I think it was. Can't find the results now so I am doing this from memory. I am pretty sure it was 120 because when I was telling the Goose about it we were trying to figure out what percent he was at the top of, and off the top of my head came up with about 6%. I know 220th would have been top 10%.

Anyhow, he was disappointed because only the top 15 people in his age group get to go to Kona. This year, for the first time in history, those were all sub-10 hour times. Incredible.

Anyhow, I am impressed anyway. I think it is an incredible accomplishment. I wish I had the stick-to-it iveness to do something like that. I stand amazed and impressed. Nice work, Al. Now, pound those Doritos...

1 comment:

Riot Kitty said...

Have to tell you...I have no idea why people want to abuse themselves like this!