A triple Header

So fresh off the long...long....long run last night, I thump out of bed all bright eyed and bushy tailed about 7. My eyes were bright due to some phospohorous I must have rubbed in there or something, and the tail...well, no clue when I grew that. Nothing a quick, refreshing shower couldn't fix and I was off for the game.
We were playing a 1-pitch tournament which means your own guy pitches to you and no matter how bad the pitch, you have to hit it. Foul balls are automatic outs.
My tendon was throbbing a bit, but hey...I like to play, so what you gonna do? We rolled out for our 8:15 game...or maybe it was 8:45, I don't know. Anyhow, the other team clearly outclassed us. Their throws were sharper, their gloves tighter, and they swung the bats a bit better. They slapped us with a 3-spot in the first, and in the bottom half, our best 3 hitters were up and down 1,2,3. Not good. They threw a couple more at us in the second, and in the bottom half our lead-off hitter got on, our second hitter struck out, and that brought me up. I got a pretty good pitch and laced a double that drove in our first run. Our next hitter fouled out, but with 2 outs we had a clutch singe. With two outs I was going hard and came up with a textbook slide to evade a throw that beat me to the plate. Of course, textbook slides in garbage softball leagues are not a good idea and now I have a nice raw spot on my knee where flesh used to be, but oh well.
The rest of the game our defense was tighter...but our offense worse. We ended up losing 9 - 2. I felt pretty good about literally being the offense...I drove in 1 and scored the other run, so I had a hand in all our scoring.
The second game saw us playing another team that lost. It took them a while to get to the field, so we took some infield practice. Real smart. I should have sat on the bench and watched. Oh, well.
It was a fun game, a lot of back and forth. We scored a lot, they scored a lot, but in the end we beat them by 2 or 3 runs. Fun game, nice people. Our next opponents took so long to arrive the ump actually called the game and was on his way to Salem when they arrived...so we played anyway. The first couple innings we totally shut them down with 1,2, 3 innings while scoring a couple in the first and a couple more in the second. Then they had a couple innings where they had the merry-g-round going, with every ball not well hit...which meant our people were out of position. If they are hitting normally, we shut them out...but since they were hitting poorly, the paradox is they were scoring. And shutting us down all the sudden. But we came back with a couple strong innings and won pretty handily.
That moved us, at 2-1, up a little in competition and we also lost one of our best players who had to go purchase a bathtub. And that would hurt.
It was a tight game. After three innings we were down by only 2 - 0, but we had like 2 hits in that time. JJ the pitcher was tired and was throwing us complete garbage...people had to take 2 or 3 steps just to get a swing at the ball...Then we got it rolling and slapped a 3-spot on them to take the lead. Then they retook the lead, we came up to bat for the last time down by 1 and the weak part of our lineup at bat. With 2 out, Eric got something to hit and the dude has wheels. He somehow legged out an inside the park home run to put us in extra innings. The first ot was scoreless, then in the second with one out I came up with people on first and second. All I had to do was single to right and Rick scores to win. The pitch came in low and inside, so I could not punch it inside out...I took a nasty swing that shot a laser into left...or would of if it had not just about taken off the shortstop's head, and he quickly doubled Rick off to end the inning. I choked so bad...oh, well. We ran out of gas at that point and they dropped about 5 or 6 on us in the next frame to put us out.
Overall, it was a pretty fun day. I went about 9 for 12 at the plate, with only that key time getting doubled off to really hurt the cause, so I did not embarrass myself at least. Overall, a pretty good day. Until I came home to work on Spanish, but that is a rant for another day.

1 comment:

Riot Kitty said...

No wonder you are so tired!