Metropod

Below you will see a video I made a couple years ago. It needs some set-up for you to understand why I still laugh every time I watch it.


In one of my classes at Portland State University we were assigned a project to create a piece of pop culture. In the process I once again learned I two things; #1, I should have a tattoo on my forehead that says, "Does not play well with others" and #2, I never appreciated part of my grade relying on the efforts of others. Not everyone puts forth the level of effort that I have always given to every scholastic project. Yeah, I know, I have no life...whatever. I enjoy the learning process.


Our group was pretty bad. I felt so little a part of the project that I did one on my own. How insistent was I on maintaining my grades? I purchased a video camera and CD burning software for my own project. One of the other members who also felt shut out wanted to be part of it so I gave him credit even though he had nothing to do with it.


The people who helped me were a good group; my brothers Kenneth and Phillip, our pseudo brother Kevin...he is a close friend to all of us; he married Cassie, the little sister of one of my closest friends, was best man at Kenneth's wedding...and vice versa...he is more like a brother than a friend...and our card playing buddy James (the Herpes Kid).


The concept was pretty simple. At the time camera phones were just hitting it big. Our conceit was how phones were no longer phones; they did a little bit of everything; camera, calculator, address book, etc. In fact, about the only thing you COULDN'T do with these new style phones was call someone... So we decided to take it to ridiculous extremes.


I combined the idea of the Swiss Army knife...a multi-tool that can do many things other than slice Ron and Nicole in the hands of OJ...allegedly...with an Ipod. I took my video camera around, told the boys the concept, and let them go. The following things are neither scripted (except the Disney commercial rip-off tag line...that was the only writing I did on the entire project) nor rehearsed.


Sadly, I did ruin two of the jokes with some poor editing; 1, as Phillip shouts the Metropod joke, Kenneth was yelling, "I wanted a Metropod" which was actually a great line...but not what I had for my concept. If I had it to do over again I would leave that in. 2nd, Kevin (the drug guy) shook his butt when talking about the shape...another joke I missed and cut in editing.
Still a very, very funny spot.


Sadly, I edited out the beginning and ending but had some computer issues...so there is about 10 seconds of unrelated video fore and aft. Nevertheless, please sit back, relax, and enjoy...The Swiss Metropod

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Gotta get me a metropod! You guys are hilarious!!!

Riot Kitty said...

Awesome!!! I am so glad you still have this! Now where is the documentary???

Darth Weasel said...

thanks for the nice words...

the documentary is a work in progress. that one I am actually writing a lot of...though in retrospect, seeings as how the 2 jokes I wrote for this project...I also wrote the Metropod cutting the pizza joke...were the weakest parts...maybe I should just have them free associate!!!