Some words you just don't hear enough

Every so often there is a word or phrase that, while once common, somehow fell into disuse. Abandoned by the linguists it lies fallow in the field of forgotten words, waiting, crying for someone to rediscover it. Nobody seems to recall why these words went away or when. They are not mourned. But they should be.

So as a public service I seek to bring some back.

"Silence, varlet, or I shall have thy tongue lashed."

See, right there we have a fine example. There are many varlets roaming the land but few who are so named.

"Hold knave, I have not finished with mine feast at this moment. Verily, if thou doth not removeth thine hand I shall stab it with a spork."

Knaves are another fine example. Every day we see acts of knavery but who calls it out? We are a country in need of people to stand up for the words which need spoken.

I suspect they have not been protected due to various bits of skulduggery engaged in by a variety of knaves and varlets. For example, I wished to engage in a bit of sartorial improvement but was prevented by the knave who, in a bit of underhanded skulduggery, pick-pocketed the varlet who was pseudo-assisting me at the time.

Which brings up an interesting point. Perhaps the reason some of these words have disappeared is because of their own misuse. "underhanded skulduggery", the term used above, to me sounds a bit repetitive. Does anybody engage in "overhanded skulduggery"? There is a certain pulchritude in a well spoken or written sentence that is not evinced by repetitious phrasing. Some scalawag started the habit and we have never recovered. So please, next time you engage in skulduggery, please demonstrate caution to not be underhanded about it.

I suppose this post has become somewhat lengthy and might have been improved had I elected to bifurcate it but really...usually, even if I feel like bifurcating I engage in a bit of casual skulduggery and tell the various varlets and knazes exhibiting false solicitude towards my health that I feel fine.

2 comments:

Riot Kitty said...

I love it! There are not enough opportunities to use knave and varlet in a sentence, you know.

Anonymous said...

There you go, eschewing obfuscation at every turn.

Kev