The dark and seamy side of sports

The NFL got in trouble a few years ago when it came to light certain players had drilled holes in the walls so they could watch the cheerleaders dress. Hmm...over-stimulated males in close proximity to scantily clad hip and chest shaking hotties wanted to see more? I am shocked...i did not see that one coming.

In the NBA there have been numerous such incidents..Kobe Bryant helping the help over a chair (cause butt-rape is always fun), the Jailblazers and their repeated incidents going back to the infamous Utah case...

Baseball has the ever classy steroid issues to go with people slamming fans with folding chairs...

Soccer of course has the penis tattoos, hooligans, and so forth.

But all of these pale in comparison to that most violent and intense of sports...cricket.

Just look at some of these quotes:

Death to Woolmer . . . death to Pakistan," shouted irate Pakistani spectators...

"Death threats," he used to say, "I have had a million of them. They don't faze me. It's part of the job."

In the crazy world of Pakistani cricket, players may have their houses stoned, their names rubbished, their reputations torn down . . .

Shields was recruited from Scotland Yard in 2005 to help curb Jamaica's epidemic of gang violence.
Now he finds himself dealing with a cricketing world where the stakes are just as high.


In the classic words of the Kingfish, "Excuse me for protrudin'..." but did I read that right? The cricketing world is being compared unfavorably in terms of danger to gang violence? I hate to think what it is like in the world of grasshoppers...

Now, I enjoy sports a great deal. I like watching them, I like playing them, talking about them...but heaven help me if I ever reach levels of involvement where I am willing to kill or maim for them or over a result

1 comment:

Riot Kitty said...

It seems like a vehicle for mental illness, doesn't it? Remember after the World Cup when the guy on the Colombian team was shot after he accidentally kicked a goal for the other team?