It is a common parroting of a particular subset of people that "corporations don't care" and they harm the business world. I have no doubt there are some cases where this is true. I have no doubt the opposite is also true.
Maybe I have just been fortunate, it is hard to say. I have had three major jobs where I worked for corporations. One was in fast food, one was in a retail lumber yard, and currently I work in wholesale. Each corporation I worked for was larger than the previous.
In the first job the attitude from the top down was consistent. We cared very much as individuals and as a team about putting out quality food in record times. We took pride in attaining and surpassing the goals set for us. We competed with each other to provide the best service possible and the most pleasant experience. Maybe I was young and naive, but I never encountered one of those legendary "burger spitting" incidents in a year and a half.
Furthermore, I was compensated pretty well above minimum wage. I was also fortunate to receive compensatory raises every time minimum wage spiked. I remember one time when that worked out to about a 2 dollar an hour raise...pretty good jack for someone who remembers collecting cans for several hours to buy 2 or 3 packs of 25 cent baseball cards.
My next job also paid me pretty well. In fact, if memory serves I nearly doubled my income. We were a corporation that also took pride in providing good customer service. Maybe I was just blessed in the bosses I had...all except the last one, but I will not speak ill of him here. He has enough personal issues.
My current place of emplyment is a phenomenal place to work. As everywhere else I have been we have an atmosphere of customer service. The people I work with genuinely care about providing a solid experience for the customer. We have a pretty good 401K plan, decent insurance, reasonable hours, and a teamwork attitude.
ssssssssccccccccccccccccwwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhooooooooooooopppppp
That was the sucking sound of my being nice...too nice...a suck up or something. It is how I feel.
With that said...
Who is the "genius" who decided to shaft the customers by taking half the sales staff away for 80% of a week? We seem to do this once a year and I seriously develop more stress in these individual weeks than the rest of my work year combined.
I guess when that is my worst complaint...life is pretty good.
Oh, and...the noodles are ready.

No comments: